Magento Category List
Date: March 21, 2013
Selling goods online is important to make navigation of clients at your online shop easier in order for them to be able to find necessary product faster and avoid frustration from not very convenient items placement. Product categories organize your store for your shoppers. Thus, smart hierarchical structure of your Magento categories makes general outlook of your store much more positive.
With Store Manager for Magento the management of your category list becomes highly efficient and convenient. This can be proved by numerous advantages for categories handling that the software possesses:
1) Choosing the tab “Categories&Products” you can see the whole Magento category list, including top-level categories along with sub-categories. In case correct filter was applied, you will be able to see also the products from selected category or, if needed, products that are not listed in selected category. Practical data organization greatly simplifies the tasks of store management as you have access to items and categories from one and the same place.
2) You can change the position of categories either dragging-and-dropping them or setting the position number.
3) Add and edit categories one-by-one or do it in bulk via Import/ Export of product categories.
Remember, all categories you create should be assigned to main Root Category. Root Catalog is default category, meaning that this category will be a top-level one (this category itself won’t be visible at the front-end).
Categories from the 2nd level and downward will be shown in that store’s top navigation. If the categories are not visible there, then most likely they are not correctly assigned to the root category of the store.
If you accidentally deleted your default root category, then you need to make new default category that can be the main category of all your other store categories. If it happened, right-click at any category you wish to take place of Root one and select the appropriate option.
4) Arrange products to needed categories in bulk using “Assign categories” option. This way you can add/change the position of selected products, associating them to one or multiple categories or subcategories from Magento category list. For that you need to tick checkboxes in front of corresponding categories.
Example in the screenshot below:
5) Upload images to categories simply dropping the one from the folder at your computer to the place for images in Store Manager.
Alternatively, import pictures using Import/Export categories Wizard that allows to add local and remote images (using URLs).
If you are trying to find needed thing online, you usually look for something you know what you want. But when you're not sure about what you want, you usually surf. The same thing is with web shop, clients usually start surfing around by choosing an appropriate category. Create Magento categories with informative names for customers who almost know what they want with Store Manager for Magento -http://www.mag-manager.com
By Oksana Semenyuk