Change Sort Order of Attribute Dropdowns and Options in Magento 2
It is a common practice to use Magento configurable product type for the products with changeable properties. These properties are displayed through dropdowns with specific options, customers can choose from. It may happen that you need to update the sort order of attribute dropdowns in Magento 2 or change the order of values within dropdowns.
Let's take a laptop as an example. Purchasing a laptop, users can choose from different colors, capacity, and style. Suppose, you have created a product with a color dropdown displaying first, style second, and capacity the third. But you want the "style" option to be displayed first. Let's see how to change the dropdown display from the admin.
Change Magento 2 Attribute Sort Order of Dropdowns and Options Via Admin
Attribute values display in dropdowns as they are configured in the attribute settings. Their position can be easily rearranged in your store backend.
- Navigate to Stores->Attributes->Product in your store admin.
- Reach a necessary attribute in the list and open it in the edit mode.
- Drag the attribute value to the desired position.
- Press Save Attribute above to apply the changes.
What about dropdowns themselves? Magento 2 allows to update the position of dropdowns at configurable product page only via configuration editing. The attributes, used for variations, should be reordered on the second step of configuration wizard. Here are steps to be fulfilled:
- Navigate to Products->Catalog in Magento admin.
- Find the product, for which you want to update dropdown positions, enable its editing and click Edit Configurations button in Product Details tab to open configuration wizard.
- Move to Attribute Values step, consolidating attributes and their values, drag-and-drop attributes to rearrange them as you need.
- Continue with configuration update and click Generate Products button on the last step of the wizard.
- Press Save button on product page, clear cache in backend and check dropdown order at the frontend.
Update Dropdown Display Without Product Regeneration
If configuration update is too much work for you to be performed just to change dropdown display, you can choose another way. Store Manager for Magento allows you to manage position of Magento 2 attributes easily within one window.
- Find desired configurable product in the catalog within Store Manager application.
- Navigate to Associated Products tab of the lower grid.
- Update positions for configurable attributes in Super Product Attributes Configuration section as the screenshot below shows.
- Just change the focus and check whether updates are applied.
The position of Magento 2 configurable product dropdowns can also be changed in bulk through import. If you have multiple products to be updated, consider doing it in the way this article outlines - https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/change-the-order-dropdowns-configurable/