What Is an Easy Way of Converting Magento Simple Products into Configurable?
Setting up product catalog with Magento you have abundance of tailor-fit features at your disposal, one of which is the possibility to easily create and efficiently manage different types of products at your site. Indicating appropriate product class is significant for accessing apt feature set required to sell your goods.
Not infrequently, having created/uploaded some items to your database, you come to the conclusion, that you need to change Magento product type - let’s say, you have added products as simple, but need them to be configurable ones. For example, you are selling clothing and need to create different options of certain item for customers to choose between (size, color). You, as shop posessor, can develop more flexible system of inventory control, while your customers will be able to easily find the product they will be looking for.
Thus, the item on the agenda is “How to convert Magento simple products to configurable not messing things up?” Will you prefer to re-add all the entities and specify details? Surely, it will be time-consuming and cumbersome process. It’s also possible to edit database tables and change items' type to needed one, what is quite risky, as you can damage Magento database.
Store Manager for Magento offers you a simpler and understandable way of converting Magento simple products into configurables. Below in this post you will find step-by-step tutorial on how to convert Magento simple product to configurable and avoid further product edit inconveniences.
Things to Consider Before Converting Product Type
In order to create configurable product in Magento, to be more accurate, to create selections, there should be configurable attribute with options in the attribute set, this configurable product belongs to (after converting).
- Scope = "Global"
- Input Type = "Dropdown"
- Apply to = "Simple Product and Configurable Product" or "All Product Types"
- Attribute options added
Convert simple products to configurable ones FREE with Store Manager Convert Now
Converting Magento Simple Product to Configurable: How Is It Done?
"Change product type" option, available on the toolbar or in the context menu (Categories&Products section of Store Manager for Magento) is responsible for converting Magento simple product to configurable.
- Select simple product or products to be converted to configurable and click click on this option.
- Select target product type in from this dropdown.
- Press OK to change Magento product type.
Generate Associated Simple Items to Converted Product
To create fully-functional configurable product, you have assign simple products to it. They will represent selections at the frontend, so that customer will be able to adjust their purchase and choose necessary option. Store Manager provides you with the possibility to generate associated products.
- Move towards Associated Products tab of product lower grid and press "Select Configurable Attributes" button on the toolbar.
- Select configurable attributes, on the basis of which options will be generated and press YES.
- Press "Create Associated Products" button and select values that will participate in associated product creating.
- Confirm generating and in seconds simple products will be created.
Check the results in Store Manager and at the product page.
Use alternative route of changing product types with Store Manager for Magento application - avoid hours of tiresome product re-adding and create customizable product catalog.
- What is Magento Configurable Product and how to Import Magento Configurable Products?
- How to Create Magento Configurable Products From Existing Simple Ones?
- Convert Simple Products with Custom Options Into Configurable
- Magento Configurable Products VS Magento Grouped Products
- How to Upload Magento Swatch Images to Configurable Products
- How to Perform Magento Superattribute Price Import
- Create Magento Configurable Products Easily
- Magento Product Types. What is Magento Configurable Product in plain words?
- Massively Associate Child Simple Products to Main Configurable via Import to Magento
- How to Create All Combinations of Simple Products that Belong to Main Magento Configurable Product in 2 Clicks
- What Are Magento Super Attributes? How to Add Super Attributes?
- Configurable Product Dropdowns Do Not Work? How to Fix It Up?
- Change the Order in which Drop-Downs of Configurable are Displayed
- Export Magento Configurable Products with Relations
How can you bulk create associated products to multiple products?
Thank you for your question.
In Magento the associated products you create and assign to configurable should be simple items with unique variation of configurable attributes. For the mentioned reason, in Store Manager the configurable attributes and values сan be selected for each configurable product individually.
If you are interested in bulk way to create and associate simple items to configurables, you can check this article how to do this via import - https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/how-to-create-different-types-of-products-in-magento/magento-configurable-products/magento-configurable-product-import-step-by-step-tutorial/