Convert Simple Products with Custom Options Into Configurable
Store owners who have chosen Magento as platform for their online stores have at their disposal 2 approaches to allow customers select desired variant of the product without having to browse a number of product pages. They are simple products with custom options and configurable goods to choose color, size, material, design etc.
Why You Might Need to Convert Custom Options into Configurables?
In case you have previously used custom options so customers could select let’s say color and size, but now need to monitor the stock of each combination (the exact blue shoes of size 7), this is only possible with configurable products in Magento.
For this reason you might need to change product type from simple products into configurable keeping associations. Sounds complicated? Definitely! What is more? Magento does not offer the possibility convert product of one type into another.
How to Handle the Task?
So how to achieve it without creating new products and manually copying the product contents?
In case you do not want to do this one-by-one and rewrite pretty much everything or apply coding, *Enterprise Edition of Store Manager for Magento application includes needed functionality.
What Steps to Follow?
One-click configurable from custom options functionality is available in *Enterprise Edition of Store Manager for Magento, so first of all, make sure you have this version installed. You can purchase it at -
Next you need to:
- Make database backup like before any mass action. Stay safe when you play! 🙂
- Select your simple products with custom options
- Right-click and from context menu select Create Configurable Product - Use Custom Options
- You will see window informing you about process progress and results.
- Once finished, you can check the results.
So you get your Configurable products available for purchase!
Behind the Scenes
The configurable items were added and simple products were created automatically and linked to configurable - most likely this is only thing you want to know, but if you are interested what’s happened during this process of conversion, here is detailed explanation.
- First of all, simple product with custom options is cloned and for this product replica the type is changed into Configurable.
- Next our software uses custom options titles to create configurable attributes automatically in case attribute with the same name has not been added to the attribute set yet.
- In case configurable attributes with the same name as custom option title already exists in attribute set, custom options values are simple added to this attribute as additional attribute options.
- Associated simple products are created on the basis of configurable attributes and they are automatically assigned to parent configurable product.
Why product is cloned instead of being converted right away?
The original simple item with custom options is kept in case you decide to roll back to selling items without keeping track of stock.
If you go to Attributes section of the application, there you will see new attribute group created (‘One-click configurable’) and it will contain all of the configurable attributes created automatically.
Attribute label corresponds to custom option title and attribute code was normalized according to Magento requirements (non-capitalized, blanks are substituted by underbars).
What challenges might you face?
In case your custom options titles are non-Latin or have special characters, Magento attribute code will not be accepted because of Magento requirements to this field.
For that reason, special attribute code will be generated.
However, attribute label will remain the same as attribute option title.
Attribute options are created from configurable options.
Are any values overwritten?
No, they are added as new and you will be able to keep previously created attribute values that may be in use for other products.
How associated items look like?
Auto-created simple products are unique combinations of configurable attributes.
- Their Names and SKUs are auto-generated and contain Name/SKU of parent product along with attributes they are made of.
- Simple items ‘inherit’ from configurable product lots of required fields with information: descriptions, weight, visibility and status settings, so you will not have to fill it in manually, simply change if necessary.
To sum up
One-click configurable functionality can save you tons of time and efforts. This revolutionary feature will change the way you manage your catalog and makes the things that are impossible with standard Magento completely achievable and fully automated with Store Manager for Magento!
Convert your simple products with custom options into configurable with associated items automatically! Convert Now!
*Enterprise Edition of Store Manager for Magento application
If you would like to get this functionality but your Magento version is not EE, it doesn’t mean you cannot use the software.
You definitely CAN use it! The application is feature-rich and this is must-have product for all developers, store managers and business people.
With interesting reporting (RFM, Cohort analytics, Lifetime Value etc), features and extensions included in the application, you can gain much more even if you do not have Magento EE!
Check comparison table at:
How to Convert Simple Products with Custom Options Into Configurable
Check the reasons why you may need to convert simple products with custom options into configurable and the ways to accomplish that. Read More...
Magento Configurable Product Import: Step by Step Tutorial
Detailed instruction on Magento configurable products import. Check all CSV import file fields explained. Read More...
Export Magento Configurable Products with Relations
Configure export of Magento configurable products with relations by checking a box. Read More...
Upload Magento Swatch Images to Configurable Products
Get the full explanation of Magento swatch images and their purpuses and find out the ways to assign them to products via admin and Store Manager. Read More...
How to check this extension in ubuntu system with free trail.........
In order to run Store Manager on Linux, you should install Windows through VirtualBox. You can find more details on it by the following link - https://www.virtualbox.org/