Magento Edit Attribute Form
Magento platform is endowed with multiple distinguishing features, among which we can point out Magento attributes. Attributes are defined as numeric or descriptive characteristics, properties of this or that item. The notion of attributes embraces all product associated information, be it model, price, SKU, material its made of, manufacturer, etc. All the attributes can be grouped and form certain attribute set, thus online merchants can create numerous products with similar attribute set.
To efficiently handle multiple merchandise and their attributes store owners should have workable data management instrument at their disposal. Store Manager for Magento is exactly what they need. The application foresees quick and convenient attribute and Magento attribute set management via Store Manager “Attributes” section.
Edit and add attribute options are being disposed on attributes toolbar and allow to modify existing or create new product attribute via “Edit Attribute Data” form.
In the form appeared you are bound either to change data in the fields required or input records for attributes you are going to create.
- Attribute Code - this field serves for defining name of the attribute, used by the system. It will be displayed in the attributes list and used in the process of Magento attribute set management, but it won’t be reflected at the frontend. Spaces and capital letters can’t be used in this field.
- Scope - by means of this option you can define the level, attribute will be spread over: Globally, at the Website or Store View Level. On condition that you choose Global from drop-down, value of this attribute should be identical throughout web site. Having specified Website level, you will derive different values of current attribute through different websites. Attribute value will be different for all websites and store views if you choose Store View level from drop-down menu.
- Catalog Input Type for Store Owner - in this field store owner has to define what type of data the attribute will store. As for example, drop-down variant will be used for Size attribute, whereas text field will be suitable for Description attribute.
- Default Value - in this field you can input value, that will be displayed in attribute field when you create new merchandise. Thus, it will be automatically indicated for a product by default.
- Unique Value - on condition that you set current attribute as unique, it means that value, entered for this attribute should differ for each product. For example, it won’t be logically to indicate unique value for Size attribute, as multiple products, disposed at the store can be of the same size.
- Values Required - on condition that you choose “yes”, you will be obliged to input value for current attribute for all Magento products you will create. It will be impossible to add an item if this attribute is unspecified.
- Input Validation for Store Owner - this stands for data validation during product creating. For example, in case you select email, the system will check whether value, indicated for an entity presents an email.
- Apply To - choose the type of products currently managed attribute will be applied to.
- Use in quick search - in case you choose “yes” for this option, Magento will look for all the product values for the attribute created, when customers use search option at the store.
- Use in advanced search - choosing “yes” from drop-down, you are making this attribute searchable at the front-end in advanced search.
- Comparable on Front-end - if you indicate “yes” in this field, there will be created a row for product comparison in a pop-up window.
- Use in Layered Navigation - if you add Magento attribute as filterable for layered navigation, customers will be able to filter Magento products placed at the store by it. You will derive list of available attributes (filterable) and values in layered navigation menu of Magento category page. Thus, it’s easy to find products, matching certain attribute value, clicking on this value in the menu. Remember, to make any value filterable, you need to specify the input type dropdown, multiple select or price.
- Use In Search Results Layered Navigation - in case you select this option as “yes” the attribute will be added to the layered navigation panel and when products possess this attribute they are shown in the search result. This option is available when catalog input type is dropdown, multiple select or price.
- Position - in this field it’s possible to specify the position of attribute in the layered navigation menu
In this section of edit attribute form you are about to indicate attribute name as it will be displayed in the admin. It’s possible to input different names for this attribute depending on each store view.
Options tab will appear in “Edit Attribute Data” window on condition that the input type is dropdown or multiple select. Actually, this section serves for creating attribute values. Click on “Add Options” button placed in the menu and fill in the fields, namely position and name of the value for admin and store views.
Read the articles to find tips on efficient and fast attribute and Magento attribute set management - www.mag-manager.com/import-attribute-sets,www.mag-manager.com/magento-attribute-management/beneficial-magento-attribute-tool/