Magento – Add Category, Edit Category, Delete Category
Getting started working with store categories, you have to know several specific things about Magento category list.
Here are the most important aspects to start with:
- The highest level category in category hierarchy should be Root category. It is not visible at the front-end, but serves as parent for those categories which you create at your store. So, all the categories created by you will be 2nd and downward level categories.
- If you do not have root category you need to create it or make one of existing categories as a root. Make sure that during this process “All Store views” option is selected from the drop-down.
- In case you have not assigned newly-created category to the root, it will most likely won’t be visible at the front-end.
- After all massive changes made with your category tree do not forget to flush Magento cache and rebuilt catalog index to see results reflected at the front-end.
Now when you know how Magento itself works with categories, you can set about work with categories. With Store Manager for Magento is especially rewardable to use, since by means of filters the software possesses, it is possible to see not only category tree with top-level categories and subcategories, but also products which belong to selected category or not listed in selected category.
Download Store Manager FREE and try its advanced functionality yourself Get It Now
What exactly operations can be performed with Magento category list using Store Manager?
You can use options listed at Magento categories toolbar or call up context menu by right-clicking at any category.
At the toolbar you can see and use the following options:
- Refresh data - is useful after you implemented some minor changes and need to update the category list.
- Add category option calls form that is used to indicate all the details for new category appending.
- To edit category you can double-click on it or select the category and press the appropriate button at the toolbar. After that the new window will appear and there you will be able to change category-related details.
- Delete selected category option allows to remove unneeded categories from Magento category list.
- Import/export option enables you to perform bulk procedures of massive categories upload or retrieving from/to the file.
- Assign root category to store - allows to link default category to particular store.
- Set category as root - allows to make from any of existing categories root one. This option is usually needed in case you accidentally deleted actual root category and need new one. Do not forget to assign other categories to root after you used this option in order for them to be shown at the front-end.
- Pressing the appropriate buttons you can set some of categories as not active or activate them.
- Expand/Collapse tree option helps you to minimize or see the whole hierarchy of categories.
- There is the ability to adjust the width of columns in Magento category list.
- Change the position of categories, reorder them easily using drag&drop or corresponding buttons.
Context menu beside of the mentioned options includes the following possibilities -
- Rebuild category index directly from the application
- View category page at the front-end
- Open category page from admin
Read our related article on how to upload Magento categories in bulk -www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/magento-category-management/magento-import-categories