Magento – Import Categories
It might be rather inconvenient to manually add a large number of Magento categories at once. Inserting categories one by one will take long time, especially when multiple categories and subcategories of different levels are planned to be created. In such a case, you will find it more reasonable to add those entities in an automatic and fast way.
Store Manager for Magento is adapted to any business requirement and caters for efficient category import tool, called wizard. Magento category import is organized within several wizard steps, where you actually need to designate import settings in order to accomplish this process successfully.
Category import is a bulk procedure and if something goes wrong, it can negatively influence store data and, correspondingly, cause misfortunes. To bypass malfunctions, fluently create necessary categories in the course of data uploading and build hierarchical category tree you are expected to fulfil pre-import preparations
Use this sample file to import Magento categories Download File Now!
- save Magento shop data to the file performing database backup. In case data are corrupted or lost and some inaccuracy occurs, you can reconstitute original information
- to upload images for categories or subcategories, you should configure FTP connection. Pictures must be provided in respective column of .csv file, categories and associated information will be imported from
- provide appropriate category details in the file. You might need to renew some categories only, some should be created or, what also often occurs, new categories should be created as well as current ones updated. Accordingly, you should prepare the spreadsheet for import. If categories are going to be updated, file should comprise product category identifier (ID, category name) and information to be updated. There is no necessity to include each and every detail. On contrary, when you create new categories, you most likely want to import maximum info on them and, accordingly, all the details must be included into the file.
- as to file structure, each category or subcategory should take separate row in the file. There should also be provided path for each category or subcategory, you are going to create, in other words, you must indicate what is its place in the hierarchy
What Settings Should Be Done to Successfully Import Categories
We will address main steps you need to take in order to achieve a successful import.
Having checked all the points and prepared Magento import category file, launch category import/export wizard, clicking on corresponding icon on category toolbar or find it in the list of Store Manager import/export wizard tools in Store section.
Afterwards the wizard will ask you to select the file for data transfer. Very often store owners save import settings and use them for further data uploads. You can select configuration and bypass setting configuring.
If you do not use configuration, proceed with usual category data import settings. In succeeding window you can preview data to be uploaded. Consider delimiter and quote character used to detach info in the file. These values are required on the following step.
This step requires you to do the following:
- Input correct separators to ensure successful file parsing and category import.
- Pay attention to delimiter used to separate categories in the category tree, it should be the same as the one indicated in the file
- If you upload images, set FTP connection directly from this window, if you haven’t configured it previously. Do not forget to check “Import images” box and select local folder, that contains images you are going to upload
*Category IDs are incremented by Magento system itself, Store Manager does not allow to force ID during import in order to ensure data integrity.
After you select store view categories will be imported into, you should correctly assign file columns to database fields. List of database fields is provided in the left pane of the window. If names of .csv file columns and database fields are identical, you can associate them automatically using “Auto link all” button.
Select correct category identifier - Magento category ID or name and category path.
One more time you can check category data, that will be transferred, on preview step. Afterwards you must decide on the most suitable Magento import category method. Take into note, if you opt for “Just Add” method, you may get duplicates, since Store Manager will not search for existing categories, but simply create categories and subcategories indicated in the file. If you want to use settings for further category uploads, save them to configuration below in this window.
Store Manager for Magento amplifies category handling and helps you bypass most of routine tasks.