Direct Database Connection Settings
In order to handle Magento store data (manage product catalog, customers, orders, etc), you are supposed to configure database connection. Having downloaded and installed on your computer either free or trial version of Store Manager for this shopping cart, you must connect to Magento database.
You have three connection types at disposal, namely direct connection, direct connection through HTTP tunnel and bridge connection. Respectively, you can select the one that best suits you. Below in this article you can find step-by-step instructions on what details are demanded and how to set up direct connection to MySQL database.
What are peculiarities of direct connection? It allows you to immediately post changes you have implemented. As for example, you manually add new product, input associated details and after you click on Ok button, it appears in product list. This very product will be available at the front-end right after you add it to Magento catalog. On the contrary, if you use bridge connection, you should get data from the web and logically post it back each time you make some changes.
To configure direct type of connection and use it for data management you may either manually input required settings or use Connection Wizard and automate this operation.
How to Configure Magento Database Connection Using Special Wizard
Connection wizard, as it has been already stated, helps you automate the procedure of connection setup. It can be launched either from Preferences -> Database Connection or find it in Settings section of Store Manager main menu.
- The first window of the wizard offers you two modes - simple mode and advanced mode. Note simple mode does not allow to select type of connection to be configured. As a result, Store Manager can establish any connection type. Advanced mode, unlike simple one, lets you indicate what type of connection to Magento database should be determined.
- Logically, opt for Advanced Mode and automatically succeeding window of the wizard utility will replace this one. Depending on whether you are adding new configuration or want to change the one created previously, choose appropriate action on this step.
- FTP settings should be provided on the following step or correspondingly changed if you are editing connection configuration. Check whether you can connect to FTP with parameters you have specified. If FTP connection works, proceed with settings and provide store URL, if it has not been detected by Store Manager application.
- Connection types are available for selection in the succeeding window. Since you are going to connect to database via direct connection, choose this option and automatically move to the following window, where your host address should be provided. If it has not been recognized by Store Manager, use Autodetect option.
- Next comes the window that comprises username and password. These details are automatically detected by connection wizard.
- Afterwards analogically database name and table prefix, if there is one, will be recognized and displayed in the next window.
- Specify Magento database connection configuration name in this window.
- The last wizard window represents connection details.
Manual Method of Connection Setup
Whenever you prefer this way of database connection setup, open Preferences window of Store Manager application and switch to Database Connection tab.
At first connection configuration name should be created. Click on respective button and in the window appeared provide configuration name.
Select connection type checking respective radio button. Direct connection type being selected, you must input details demanded.
Host - your Magento website name (without http://www.) or IP address
Username, passwords, database name - in order to find these details you have to connect to FTP using some FTP client. Afterwards open store root and find /app/etc directory that contains local.xml or env.php file that incorporates above mentioned credentials
Port - usually 3306 is used
Check whether settings are correct clicking on Test Connection button.
Download FREE Store Manager for Magento to try it yourself Get It Now
Magento – Add Category, Edit Category, Delete Category
The list of functions available for Magento category managenemt. Read More...