Get a List of Magento Products Without Category
Are you 100% sure that all of your products are assigned to at least one category? You might need to find this out. What for?
Commonly clients use categories for better navigation at your site. It is especially true when shopper is on the stage of selecting or evaluating. For example, when he/she thinks “I need a new phone”, the client usually goes to Devices -> Mobile section of your shop, instead of right away typing in the search the exact name of the product he/she is intended to purchase.
Products with No Categories. How did It Happen?
- Your supplier might have given you the file with empty column for categories for some products.
- When updating some other product details via import, categories could have been overwritten and you haven’t noticed.
- Maybe while adding the products manually you somehow skipped ‘Category’ tab and forgot to tick a box for at least one category from category tree.
Anyway, no matter of the reason this happened, even if you haven’t noticed, result is the same: a product cannot be found as it should. So you should better diagnose your online shop for orphaned products that are not associated with any category in Magento.
Ways to Distinguish Products Left Without Categories
Since in Admin Panel is not included the possibility to detect products with empty value for category, than generally, 3 way-outs are possible:
- Check all products: one-by-one, one after another
- Run some SQL queries that can help you perform the task
- Filter products without categories in one click with Store Manager for Magento.
In case you have big catalog with multiple products, then the first option is not for you, unless you want to spend next 5 years on this task 🙂
The second way will be suitable for people with some technical skills or those who at least know how to find, modify and where to apply query.
In case you are just shop owner and not too much into sql, one-click solution will definitely catch your attention.
Filter Orphaned Products
So, one-click functionality of Store Manager requires from you only to open the application and set the built-in filter to - ‘Show products that are not assigned to any category’
Well, that’s it. Now you can go through the result list and link Magento products to categories.
You can use option to mass categorize selected products.
Alternatively, you can export received filtered products to the file, indicate category path(s) for each and import the listing back, applying changes.
Download Store Manager for Magento and discover an easy way to see/pull a list of all products that are not associated to categories at your shop -