Import Custom Options Easily
Magento custom options is an easy and efficient way to sell product in variations in case you have unlimited number of items available in stock. Despite of the fact that drop-downs/options can be created with less efforts, than let’s say configurable products, in case you have hundreds or even thousands of goods for which custom options should be added, it may take considerable amount of time. You might say that import may solve the situation, but you might be shocked when discover that default admin functionality does not support this possibility.
If you are not much into coding and have no trusted script you can apply, you might be interested in solution that will be useful for both store owner and tech specialist. With Store Manager for Magento application you can carry out Magento custom options import procedure and assign them in bulk to already existing in your database products.
Basically, the procedure involves file preparation, import settings and actual import of custom options into Magento with further results viewing.
Let’s try to view each stage and see what is necessary to follow to do Magento import of custom options without special technical skills.
To upload custom options using Store Manager, the details on them should be available and properly arranged in the file that you are going to used for the upload.
The good idea is to add options to some simple products manually and then export it to see the fields that should be included and how information should be defined in them.
Generally, for custom options to be applied to existing products there should be the following columns:
- field(s) used for identification of product to which custom options should be applied to (product ID, SKU or Product name+SKU);
- custom options identifiers: option id (in case they are already in database and should be updated), options SKU or option SKU+title;
- option type - indicate code for input type to be used for particular custom option;
- view name - there should be indicated store view value;
- title - here should be indicated name of option (like color, size, material etc);
- value title - there should be indicated option values. For example for color there should be - green. If you have option of select type, each option value should be in separate row.
Additionally, you can indicate in the file columns with information on price mark-up of each option, their sort order, make them required etc.
When your file is ready you can proceed to its upload. In Store Manager there is separate Import/Export Wizard for custom options.<./p>
There you need to set certain settings, the most important of them are:
- selecting delimiters for proper parsing of file columns and information in them.
If you are not sure about the ones used in your file, do not worry, you will not have to cancel the process, as there is the step where you can preview your file.
- fields mapping and identifiers selection. At this step you need to select identifiers for your products and custom options (taking into consideration columns you have in the file) and also link columns of your custom options import file to database fields.
- selecting import options according to your needs (whether you need to add new custom options or update existing).
Import Running and Results
After you are all set, at the last step of Magento custom option import wizard you will see “Import” button. As soon as you hit it, the procedure of upload will start and there will appear progress bar notifying you about the percentage of task completeness.
When the process will be to end, you will see last window of wizard with detailed logging and statistics on the executed procedure. After that you can clear Magento cache and re-index and check the results at your front-end.
That's it. Now you have custom pptions imported into your Magento site. Make Magento site management easier with Store Manager for Magento!
Import custom options with Store Manager! Get it Now!
- How to Import Custom Options of Select Type
- See detailed step-by-step documentation on custom options import