Automated Magento BackUps Running on Schedule
The old cliché known among people dealing with data security says that if copy of your information doesn’t exist in three places, then it doesn’t exist at all.
Backup - a Working Defense Against Data Loss
If your business depends on data in Magento store, then you should better do appropriate actions to be aware that you have copied and stored the sensitive information to some safe place, so it could be quickly used for restoring of your site. Thus, backup is the working defense against data loss.
One or Multiple Database Copies?
While most web hosting companies have a backup of your data, however, it is not advisable to rely on a single database copy. It’s much safer to have multiple backups that are kept in different locations.
How to Ensure That You Have Latest Backup?
One of the main things dealing with backups is that the information stored should be the latest. How to ensure this? Perform backups regularly, on definite schedule. Backups are MUST and if it’s automated, life becomes very easier. Schedule your backup so that it can run even in your absence or when you are busy and have forgotten about it.
The Way to Automate Backups Running
Store Manager for Magento includes Automated Backup feature rapidly and reliably take copies of your server without human interaction.
This gives you peace of mind in knowing that there is a process that periodically takes a snapshot of your store data and keeps it in a safe place, leaving you covered against crashes and other nasty things that always hit when you less expect it.
Scheduled Backup Settings
The process consists of 2 main preparation phases:
A) creation of configuration with settings that include where and what information should be copied;
B) add task to scheduler deciding when the task will be running.
Let’s see each of them in more details.
- First of all, you need to select location where database snapshot will be saved. It is stored in .sql format.
- Select database tables you wish to be backed-up. You can use filter and select product or customer-related tables. In case you need to make full database backup, check all the boxes.
- Additional options allow you to select the following variants:
- backup database structure only (without data). Please note, this backup will not contain data and will be unsuitable for data recovery.
- backup files - all the images and downloadable files can be copied and saved locally. However, you should consider that this will slow down the process and can make it last hours if not days.
Add Task to Scheduler
After configuration is created, you can indicate settings that are responsible for backup running activation. For that you need to type in the name of scheduled task, specify the regularity with which the task will be performed (daily, weekly, monthly etc), the exact day&time when backing-up should start. Moreover, you can make it repeat each predefined time period - like each 4 hours.
With Store Manager for Magento backup process can be extremely lightweight and have minimal impact on server load (can be made locally). This allows to configure backups to be taken as often as hourly with no noticeable impact on system performance.