How to Import Images from External URLs to Magento?
There are occasions when you do not have images saved locally or on your servers. You might be receiving the file with information from your supplier with reference to images as an external URL. You might also need to export data from one platform to another and image URLs can be a part of your file.
Problem: Magento itself does not allow extract image from remotely hosted http link. How to upload images in this case?
Admin Import& DataFlow
Since import means of back-office cannot fetch remote images from the URL, you need to do it on your own.
- Open each image in the browser, right-click on the picture and press ‘Save image as...’ and load it to the local folder at your PC.
- After all the images are in this folder, you need to connect to your FTP server and copy images from folder at your computer to media/import directory of your Shopping cart instllation.
- In your csv import file in column for images indicate image name with slash at the beginning (corresponding to image titles in media/import folder) in front of appropriate product SKU, like this -
- Run Import/Export of DataFlow Profile to link images to corresponding products via import and see them at the front-end.
Import from URL, Bypassing Media Storage
There are the applications that allow grab image from remote location, download it to your own server and assign it to the correct item - all of these right in the process of import.
Store Manager application has exactly the desired functionality, if you want to avoid manual images download and bypass media storage library.
The following steps will ensure quick and successful images upload by URL:
- The http links to images should be in your file in column(s) for images. Shopping cart allows you to add one and the same or different pics to product, making them base, small, thumbnail or adding extra pictures to the gallery.
- If you want to add multiple images to product, you need to separate URLs with symbol that server as data delimiter
- Before going over to import procedure itself, you need to make sure that you have granted the software access to upload images to your server.
- After Products Import Wizard running, important thing to “let the software know” that you need to upload images by checking the appropriate box at this step -
- Map column with images from your file to database fields where image records should be saved.
- After import is reported to be successful, check your images at the front-end.
Open for yourself new experience in images upload to Magento, uploading remote (external images from supplier) using their URLs. Try it free right now -